Transforming lives and communities through the hope and grace of Jesus Christ.

Watts Journey


Watts Wesleyan Journey

  • October 1936 - The Wesleyan Methodist, Watts Township Church was founded.  It consisted of six charter members, all of whom lived in the Watts Township community.  The church building was located on the corner of Spinning Wheel Road and Notch Road.  Because electricity was still a luxury, kerosene lamps and one chandelier were used to light the little country church.
  • September 1945 - The church board voted to purchase a parsonage.  The cost of the house was $1,650.00.  The home Missionary department donated $700.00 and one of the church laymen loaned the church $1,500.00 toward the purchase.  One year later the board agreed to take pledges from the congregation of $.50 per week per person to pay off the balance of the loan.  The parsonage was located only a few miles from the church and is still being used to house the pastors and their families until 2004.
  • 1946 - the church building finally had electricity.  Also in that year, two of the church board members were given permission to obtain local ministers licenses.
  • 1947 - The church board voted to change the name of the church to the Bethel Wesleyan Methodist Church of Watts Township, in years to come the name was changed again to the Watts Township Wesleyan Church.
  • 1967 - The church was closed for 6 months because no man would serve as pastor.  After much prayer Betty (Ruth) North and Erma Kenschaft supplied the pulpit until a pastor could be found.  They supplied the pulpit for ten years.
  • 1995 - A new and larger church building was built on Circle Road.  The old church building on Spinning Wheel and Norris Roads wass s sold.
  • 2007 - A pavilion was added.
  • 2009 - By God's grace and the generosity of the congregation, the mortgage was paid off in three months.  The mortgage was burned in December of 2009, five months earlier than anticipated.
  • 2011 -  Playground equipment was added to the children's play area on the hill and a room was enlarged to accompany a new class.


The Wesleyan Church was founded in 1968 when the Wesleyan Methodist Church and the Pilgrim Holiness Church merged. The new denomination was shaped by the Wesleyan Methodists’ appreciation for structure combining with the Pilgrims’ entrepreneurial spirit.  Click here for further reading


Penn York Conference of the Wesleyan Church.  Making disciples that make disciples and churches that multiply themselves!